What is NIE?
NIE, or Newspapers In Education, is a program designed to enhance learning through the use of the newspaper. This readership program encourages students to use the most current textbook around and to think and analyze current events in the world around them. Specific NIE activity guides help teachers use the newspaper to enhance their lessons and meet their state standards. NIE is available to elementary, middle and high schools and can be integrated into every subject area (ie. math, science, language arts, history, music, etc.)
What Is An E-Edition?
An E-edition is an exact replica of the newspaper. The daily contents of the paper are transmitted electronically and available to you at any computer with an Internet connection.
Why Use NIE in the Classroom?
A 2002 Newspaper Association of America Foundation study found that:
- Students do 10 percent better on standardized tests when they learn with a newspaper.
- Schools with a high minority enrollment who utilize a Newspaper in Education program score 30% higher on standardized tests than similarly populated schools.
- Reading skills increased two grade levels for students who used newspapers, compared to those using traditional methods.
- Reading scores were consistently higher for 12 to 18 year-olds who used newspapers alone or with textbooks. In some cases, scores increased by as much as four grade levels.
- Newspaper use in school increased students' awareness of the world and their communities and had a positive effect on attitudes toward school, community and subject matter.
- Parents who used newspapers as a principal source material had better achievement scores in social studies, language arts and mathematics than their matched counterparts, who relied only on textbooks.
- Newspaper use seems to improve verbal interactions, student motivation and student behavior.
Where is the NIE program available?
The NIE program is available to all area schools.
When is the NIE program Available?
The NIE program is available August through May. Teachers can sign up at the beginning of the year, in the middle of the year, or for a quarter during the school year. The online edition of the newspaper is available seven days a week to participating teachers.
What Does it Cost?
Your The NIE online subscription is free! This is possible because of the sponsorships that we receive from subscribers, advertisers and local businesses.
If you would still like to receive a hard copy of the paper in your classroom, there is no cost to elementary schools; however there is a cost of 10¢ per copy for Middle & High Schools and it is only delivered Monday - Friday.
How Do I Sign Up?
It's easy! Just visit www.lasvegasnie.com, and click on "Not Registered? Subscribe Today!" to receive your free sponsored electronic subscription to the newspaper and gain access to programs, lesson plans, and more!
At the end of the school year an affidavit will be sent via e-mail and/or by U.S. Mail to confirm that you registered for the free use of the electronic edition and/or the hard copy of the The Review-Journal. It is required, for auditing purposes, to obtain affidavits for all electronic and hard copies of the newspapers that are supported through the sponsorship funding.